Just the Right Size:
Troop 48 is a moderate-sized troop of approximately 35 boys. Because of our medium size and our boy led focus, the Troop strives to develop each boy individually. The Troop is supported by a dedicated group of trained scouters and parents. The Troop has achieved the “Gold” rating in Scouting's Journey to Excellence for its Scouting Program in 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015.
Collaborative Groups for Enriched Learning and Development:
Boys of all ages work together in patrols on advancement and in planning our many adventures. After the first year, we mix the age of the boys in each Patrol and it has been a big success. The younger boys really enjoy being friends with and learning from the older boys in their patrols and the older boys enjoy mentoring the younger boys.
Adventure-based learning and growth:
We believe the best way for boys to develop leadership and wise decision-making skills is involvement in challenging activities including:
- White Water Canoeing
- Rock climbing
- Backpacking at various State Parks
- Annual Klondike Derby with ice activities
- 5, 10 and 20 mile hikes
- Flying Airplanes
- Service Activities including: Eagle Projects, Ft Snelling Wreath Clean Up, Edina Day of Service & outside service work for Calvary Church.
High Adventure Treks for Older Scouts: In addition to monthly camping activities, we understand older Scouts need more physically and mentally demand activities for growth. To that end, we plan at least one high adventure trip per year including:
- Boundary Waters Canoeing Treks
- Backpacking Treks of 50+ miles on Isle Royale, MI
- OPIK Dog Sledding in Northern, MN
- Backpacking Treks exceeding 70 miles at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM
- Out-Island Camping/Fishing/Sailing in the Florida Keys at BSA Seabase
Meeting Location: Calvary Lutheran Church (our sponsor/Charter Organization), 6817 Antrim Rd, Edina, twice per month on Monday 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.
Scoutmaster: Peter Conrad. Supported by 4 Assistant Scout Masters & Scoutmaster Emeritus, Jim Chamberlain
Committee Chair: Eric Bjelland
For more information, contact Eric Bjelland at 952-697-3650 or click on "Contact Our Troop" at the top of the Home page.