Just the Right Size:
Troop 48 is a moderate-sized troop of approximately 35 boys. Because of our medium size and our boy led focus, the Troop strives to develop each boy individually. The Troop is supported by a dedicated group of trained scouters and parents. The Troop has achieved the “Gold” status for its Scouting Program in 2012 and 2013.
Collaborative Groups for Enriched Learning and Development
Boys of all ages work together in patrols on advancement and in planning our many adventures. We mix the age of the boys in each Patrol and it has been a big success. The younger boys really enjoy being friends with and learning from the older boys in their patrols and the older boys enjoy mentoring the younger boys.
Adventure-based learning and growth:
We believe the best way for boys to develop leadership and wise decision-making skills is involvement in challenging activities including:
- White Water Canoeing
- Rock climbing
- Winter camping at OPKIK in Northern MN
- “While the City Sleeps” – An overnight tour of night-shift jobs in Twin Cities
- Lock-in: All-night bonding experience of games and movies
- Backpacking at various State Packs
- Annual Klondike Derby with ice activities
- 5, 10 and 20 mile hikes
- Flying Airplanes
- Service Activities including: Eagle Projects, Ft Snelling Wreath Clean Up & outside service work for Calvary Church.
High Adventure Treks for Older Scouts: In addition to monthly camping activities, we understand older Scouts need more physically and mentally demand activities for growth. To that end, we plan at least one high adventure trip per year including:
- Boundary Waters Canoeing Treks
- Backpacking Treks of 50+ miles on Isle Royale, MI
- Sea Kayaking Trek in the Apostle Islands, WI
- OPIK Dog Sledding in Northern MN
- Fly Fishing in Montana
- Camping at Camp Buffalo Bill near Yellow Stone National Park, WY
- Backpacking Treks exceeding 50 miles at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM
- BSA Seabase in the Florida Keys
SEE OUR LATEST CAMPING VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bn8X2BP0_k&feature=youtu.be
Meeting Location: Calvary Lutheran Church (our sponsor/Charter Organization), 6817 Antrim Rd, Edina, twice per month on Monday 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.
Scoutmaster: Peter Conrad. Supported by 4 Assistant Scout Masters & Scoutmaster Emeritus, Jim Chamberlain
Committee Chair: Eric Bjelland
For more information, contact Eric Bjelland at 952-893-8282 or click on "Contact Our Troop" at the top of the Home page.