Troop 48 - Edina
Just the Right Size:
Troop 48 is a moderate-sized troop of approximately 35 boys. Because of our medium size and our boy led focus supported by a dedicated group of trained scouters and parents, the Troop strives to develop each boy individually.
Collaborative Groups for Enriched Learning and Development
Boys of all ages work together in patrols on advancement and in planning our many adventures. Patrols are small sub-groups of boys, like Den's in Cub Scouts. The fact that we mix the age of boys in each Patrol has been a big success. The younger boys really enjoy being friends with and learning from the older boys in their patrols and the older boys enjoy being friends with and mentoring the younger boys.
Adventure-based learning and growth:
We believe the best way for boys to develop leadership and wise decision-making skills is involvement in challenging outdoor activities. The scouts pursue many avocational areas; in some cases, they've created signature programs and community service opportunities.
Adventures from our current calendar and past few years (* invented here!):
- Boundary Waters Canoeing
- Backpacking Treks of 50+ miles on Isle Royale
- Sea Kayaking Trek in the Apostle Islands
- Camp Tesomas in Rhinelander, WI
- A new tradition of attedning Many Point Scout Camp in MN beginning in 2014
- Camp Buffalo Bill near Yellowstone National Park in Montana
- Fly fishing in Montana
- Trekking at Philmont BSA ranch, NM (Going again in 2015)
- “Man Vs. Wild”* –Survival campout, inspired by TV’s “Man vs. Wild”.
- Caving trip to Eagle Cave
- Rock climbing
- Dog sled mushing, snowshoeing, cross country skiing at OPKIK in Northern MN
- “While the City Sleeps”* – An overnight tour of night-shift jobs in Twin Cities
- Lock-in: All-night bonding experience of games and movies
- BSA Seabase in the Florida Keys (Going again in 2014)
- Ice Fishing
- 5, 10 and 20 mile hikes
- White water canoeing
SEE OUR LATEST CAMPING VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bn8X2BP0_k&feature=youtu.be
Recent Community Service Adventures
- Feed My Starving Children
- Wreath pick-up at Ft. Snelling Cemetery
- Bell Ringing for the Salvation Army
- Eagle service projects (in 2009-2012 nine boys reached Eagle rank!)
- Wreath and popcorn sales to support Troop 48 adventures
Meeting Location: Calvary Lutheran Church (our sponsor/Charter Organization), 6817 Antrim Rd, Edina, twice per month on Monday 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.
Scoutmaster: Peter Conrad. Supported by 4 Assistant Scout Masters & Scoutmaster Emeritus, Jim Chamberlain
Committee Chair: Eric Bjelland
For more information, contact Eric Bjelland at 952-893-8282 or click on "Contact Our Troop" at the top of the Home page.